Gourmet Vegetable Pie
Prep time: :20
Cook time: :20
Bake time: :45
Flour, beaten organic free-roaming egg and bread crumbs
1 Lb tomatoes (for optional fresh sauce, see directions)
10 cloves garlic (for the fresh sauce)
2 cups diced onion
1 cup smoked Gruyère cheese
1 ¼ cups heavy cream
2 14 oz cans artichoke hearts
¾ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
12 oz Marie Callender pie pastry (or make your own)
A key to this recipe is to use the best quality cheeses.
1. Cut about ½ the eggplant into ½ inch slices. Make enough slices to cover the bottom of a 9" x 12" baking dish. Hint: cut the slices in half to make them easier to arrange. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs into separate dishes and dip the eggplant slices in that order. Heat up some oil in a fry pan and fry the slices until golden brown. Drain the fried eggplant on paper towels. Line the bottom of the baking dish with the eggplant slices
Preheat the oven to 400°
2. If you want to, you can make your own tomato sauce. Alternatively, use a pre made tomato sauce. (I prefer this option as it cuts prep time WAY down.) Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 45 seconds then peel. Chop the tomatoes and cook in olive oil with the pressed garlic until you have a purée. Spoon a layer of sauce over the eggplant slices.
3. Sprinkle ½ the onions and all of the Gruyère on top of the sauce. Place ½ the cream on top.
4. Drain the artichoke hearts well and layer them upon the cream. (You might be able to reserve a couple to use in a salad later.) Sprinkle on the remaining onions and the Parmesan. Pour the rest of the cream over the top.
5. Roll out the pastry fairly thin and fit to top of baking dish. Bake for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.